Nearly everyone will require the assistance of a lawyer at one time or another in their lives. However, it is important to understand which legal issues should be dealt with by a family attorney. You can also contact paternity attorneys in Honolulu from the various websites.

From the Bar to the Bench: Transitioning from Lawyer to Judge

Here are four of the most common issues.


An attorney who is experienced in family law can help a couple decide to divorce. An attorney can assist with the division of jointly owned property and debts, as well as issues related to child custody and financial support. An attorney can also help with the dissolution of non-traditional marriages, such as domestic partnerships and civil unions.


Adoption laws are subject to change from one state to the next. It is important to have a lawyer to ensure proper legal procedures. Inadequate laws can cause delays, denials, or even the termination of an adoption. Family attorneys have the ability to navigate the legal pathways of private and agency adoptions.

Child Support

As we have already mentioned, child support can be an issue in the event of a divorce. A lawyer is available to represent the child and ensure that the child has the right level of care. This will help to avoid poverty, improve quality of life, as well as prevent the potential for child support issues. 

A family attorney can fight for child support payments if a court has ordered child support and the responsible party defaults on the payments. This applies even if the income of the responsible party increases. An attorney can take the case back to court to adjust child support payments accordingly. A lawyer can also be invaluable in cases where the responsible party cannot pay child support payments or disputes paternity.


A family attorney is required to help you establish a child's paternity. This is a very serious legal matter. In many states, an unmarried male cannot automatically be granted parental rights to any child he believes is his until his paternity has been legally established. You can do this by DNA testing, submitting an affidavit attesting paternity or taking other legal action. If the father denies paternity, legal representation is required.